I love Romany creams so much!
So I had some desiccated coconut on my hands and loads of free time, honestly, that was every excuse ever to make Romany Creams so I hoped on it!
Let’s make some, shall we?
This recipe is not super sweet so even if you don’t have a huge sweet tooth you’ll still enjoy these!
- 350 g butter
- 1 cup granulated/castor sugar
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ – 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 200 g milk chocolate (or dark if you don’t have much of a sweet tooth)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the butter and the sugar in a large bowl and beat together until creamy, then beat in the egg, oil and vanilla essence. Add all the dry ingredients (leaving 1/2 flour on the side) and stir until combined. Work the dough together to form a soft ball. If your dough is too soft, add the remaining flour.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and put a piece of cling wrap or baking paper on top. Roll out to 2 cm thickness and scrape the top of the dough with a fork.
- Cut shapes with a round cookie cutter and transfer to a greased baking sheet or one that is lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 10-12minutes in an electric oven or 15-20 minutes in a gas oven.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread the chocolate over the undersides of half of the biscuits and top with the remaining biscuits.
- Enjoy with a tall glass of milk